Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ducks in Reeds

I believe “Ducks in Reeds” is beautiful in its simplicity and minimalism - it has started me on a path to exploring more of the Japanese master painters/ poets from the Edo era.

Title: Ducks in Reeds
Written By 立圃書 (Ryuuho)
Haiku Poem:

Within the withered reeds
the turquoise feathers
of wild ducks


Kare-ashi no
Naka ni aoba no
Magamo kana


Calligraphy is:
枯葦の 中に青羽の 真鴨

For me, the poem lends a peaceful dynamic to the painting. I can almost feel the quiet isolation of ducks feeding on minnows, as the stream slowly drifts through the marshy islands and a gentle wind bends the reeds.

As I admire the painting, I notice that the calligraphy in the upper left of the painting frames a curving space in the river stream. From this curve extends three small, marsh- like islands stretching across the center of the painting; notice the small black dots on each island are ducks grazing there. In the foreground near the bottom are two detailed pictures of the ducks.


Second Translation:
Withered reed
within --  blue feather
wild duck

This poem, along with its translation and depiction are published in the excellent book :
Haiku and Haiga: Moments in Word and Image

I invite your comments on this work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment