Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Poignant Verse and Obsession with Minase Sankin Hyukuin

Hi all,
I hope you read and enjoyed my last post. That post celebrated my reading of the first 8 verses from the classic japanese poem Minase Sankin Hyakuin.

So how did I get hooked on this poem?

Well, in some obscure document, while I was browsing through the SAAM library archives, I discovered the single most poignant verse I have ever set eyes upon - it conveyed this sad emotion using only 31 syllables.

Here is the verse:

Minase Sangin
A Poignant Verse
Poets:
Sogi, Shohaku, Socho
English translation by:
Nobuyuki Yasa
Japanese

In a sorrowful voice
A cricket is heard singing
Beneath the withering grass.

I paid a call to a friend of mine,
Taking a desolate lane by the hedge.

nakumushi no
kokoro motonaku
kusa karete

kakine o toeba
arawanaru michi

The verse has greatest emotional impact (to me) when read in isolation from the larger poem - the context is different, and this verse inspired my search for all 100 verses of Minase Sankin Hyakuin, eight of which I posted yesterday.

I think I have all 100 verses now, after possibly finding them in a recent visit to the SAAM library, so you may be seeing more Minase Sankin Hyakuin blog posts in the future :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment