Tuesday, April 6, 2010

River Snow - A Landscape Poem

Today I write about the poem River Snow. This poem swept me into a landscape where, as you will soon find out, I became an active participant in a work of art!

River Snow
“A thousand mountains
          no birds flying
Ten thousand paths
         devoid of human trace
A lone boat, a bark-caped
         old man —
Alone, he angles
          a cold river of snow”

City University of Hong Kong
Translation by Chunshen Zhu

River Snow is a Chinese landscape poem written by poet Liu Zongyuan (773 – 819). I recently read a scholarly dissertation (click here) about this poem; the dissertation was written by Hong Kong scholar Chunshen Zhu and it included his keen observations and his fine translation into English.

Armed with Chunshen’s poetic analyses, as I re-read the poem it jumped off of the page, picked up a brush, and began to create a vivid work of art!

Liu’s poem began painting a landscape which forced my attention to move from place to place as I could only watch. Recreating the painting in my mind’s eye, I found myself borrowing from memories of real-life landscapes; National Parks, Desert Mountains, rivers, birds in flight, and other scenes in nature that I have often enjoyed.

As I now think about River Snow, slowly reading it line by line, I find I am becoming a part of this landscape and that I am trying to narrate all that I can see and feel.

Narrating my own vision of the poem’s landscape? Well…yes, like this:

Initially, I am standing on a high mountain cliff. I am looking outward over a vast, dry, brown desert - mountain ranges are visible far off on the horizon. Nothing is moving, there are no signs of life, and roadways leading toward the mountains are completely empty. I begin to feel and hear a light wind blowing.

Before me, a narrow river snakes its way out across the desert and vanishes as it enters the distant mountains.

I look down, then over the edge of my mountain cliff and notice a river below; an older man is sitting motionless in a small boat – he holds a fishing rod with its line angling straight downward into the water. Nothing is moving in this scene, there is only solitude.

I look up toward the sky. Snowflakes are beginning to fall and I am feeling chilled.

Glancing back down to the river, I am startled to see that the entire landscape has changed – it is blanketed in whiteness!

Snow is clinging to the old man’s coat; his boat and fishing pole have ridges of snow lining their top surfaces, the river’s banks are rounded with mounds of snow and, what was once a vast brown desert is now a great white expanse stretching outward toward snow covered mountain ranges.

The poem ends and as it does, the scenery dissolves before my eyes. I am back in my home’s office staring at my laptop PC, writing something on this blog while trying to decide what I will say next.

So…what did you see while reading River Snow? Please do comment

3 comments:

  1. I lke your expression of the lonesome vast desert saturated with white snow. Even the 9200' high Huachuca mountains are now covered with white snow, yet streams are still flowing.The old fisherman appears not to m[nd the solace.
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I am betting you have a nice view from your backyard of the snow capped Huachuca mountain peaks.

    The scene I visualized drew from the sights we all have seen while standing on top of Coronado Peak and looking across the desert toward the Chiricahuas, or looking in the other direction toward Mexico, or seeing and hearing the Wilcox Sand Cranes flying, then touching down nearby us.

    I don't forget those sights and they can take shape while studying a simple poem such as River Snow.

    I think the old man is at peace in such solitude; the landscape may lonely, but he prefers to be alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your interpitation, at firat I thought you were actually going to paint this beautiful scene with watercolors or on canvas with oils. As I read further I could see how you painted the changing landscape with words. It was very descriptive and I too could see them.
    You do very well with words, as for myself, I enjoy both arts but express my feelings on canvas and also my music. Concerning music see my latest email I sent you.
    Bernice

    ReplyDelete