Sunday, March 21, 2010

Along the Road - Saigyō

This waka (poem) "Along the Road" was created by Saigyō (1118 - 1190), a Japanese wandering monk-poet and former samurai. The haiku picture shows Saigyō in the Hyakunin Isshu (百人一首).


















Here is the waka poem:
Title: Along the RoadPoet: Saigyō
English translation Japanese

Along the road
a pure stream flows
in the shade of a willow.


Wanting to rest
I paused - and have not left.

michi no be ni
shimi zu nagaruru
yanagi kage

shibashi to te koso
tachidomaritsure
Poem from article: Haiga : Takebe Sōchō and the Haiku-painting tradition

Now, how beautiful is that?

I have felt this way many times while hiking shaded paths alongside mountain streams, through old-growth forests where only filtered sunshine occasionally streamed down between the trees.  Suddenly the trail emerges from the forest into bright sunshine at a small clearing by a stream. 

During my recent hike along the Upper Dungenous River, that clearing had a perfect resting spot near the edge of the forest, but still in the sunshine by the river.  Arriving,  I dropped my backpack to the ground and, using it as a pillow, rested with the feeling I would never choose to leave.






Have you had this kind of moment before - the one Saigyō so elegantly describes? 
Please comment...

2 comments:

  1. I have sat and walked by streams and mountainus even as I glanced back. I was reluctant to leave but I knew the next one would make me glad and I knew I could always return as I have done so many times before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to express the experience you and Mom have had so many times, over so many years traveling throughout the most beautiful parts of our Country.

    ReplyDelete