Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Over the Ice

One dark night, while camping on a Mount Baker's Coleman Glacier, I peered out of my tent to see a full moon and an approaching snow storm.  It was so cold I had been trying to sleep fully clothed, including heavy boots and with a backpack under my legs to stay warm.

I could never have imagined that 600 years earlier in 1473, a 15th century Japanese poet had so perfectly captured my frozen moment in time.

This poet-priest-scholar was named Sōgi; the poem is called Over the Ice, it is only two verses in length, and it contains a total of 31 syllables.

The poem's images are fresh.
"Over the Ice"Poet:
Sōgi
English translation by:
Stephen D. Carter
Japanese
Over the ice
A cold wind blows.

In the sky's expanse
Clouds speed past the moon
On a clear night
Kōri no ue o
Kaze wa yuku nari

Kumo hayaki
Tsuki no ōzora
Sayuru yo ni

My camp site on the Coleman glacier is shown below.
Please click on picture;

Sunset At Highcamp Posted by Picasa

Over the Ice poem may be found in an article called Three Poets at Yuyama; Sogi and Yuyama Sangin Hyakuin.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Paul-san, how are you. I've put your two blogs in my google reader, so now I hope I can follow all of your new entries.
    I was so thrilled to see the picture of the tiny red tent sitting in the new snow and waiting for the sun to come out and warm it. I'm glad you weren't literary flozen then^^;

    I thought the poem has kind of piercing beauty. You can feel the coolness of the air. You know, such an old haiku is better understood even for me, a native speaker of Japanese, when I read it n English.

    The last time you left a comment in my blog, I made a quick search to buy a book of haiku including original Japanese haiku and English translation, but I couldn't make out which one is the best buy. Could you recommend me one title, then I think I can talk about haiku with you more.
    Thanks for the beautiful picure and haiku and
    take care!
    noriko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noriko-san, I am fine.

    That little red tent has endured some very harsh weather including snowstorms with sustained winds greater than 50 miles per hour (80 kph).

    Fortunately for me, that tent, an EV-2, was designed by Ed Viesturs, the best living mountain climber today. He knows how to stay alive!

    I have browsed so many Haiga/ haiku/ and renga linked poems books lately that I can hardly keep track of them all. There are five within arms-reach of my laptop right now :-).

    I will post a list of my favorite haiga books soon but, until then, the first book I recommend is the one I bought-it is:
    "Haiku & Haiga Moments in Word and Image".

    The pictures are beautiful, descriptions of each picture (plate) and discussions of their meanings are in english and german, and the haiku and calligraphy is printed in easy to read Japanese font as well as in english and german.

    I have been finding many books at a Seattle art museum library. When I want to have my local library to loan me a book they don't have, I find it first by searching http:\\www.worldcat.org, then send the URL link to my library. This has been very convenient.

    I'm off to the museum now, talk to you later...
    Paul

    ReplyDelete